The Committee is required to develop and maintain a register of all deaths of children and young people that occur in the ACT and the deaths that occur outside of the ACT of children and young people who normally live in the ACT. The register must include the information provided under section 727N(2) of the Act, namely:
- the cause of death of the child or young person
- the age of the child or young person
- the sex of the child or young person
- whether the child or young person is Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- whether, within three years before his or her death, the child or young person, or a sibling of the child or young person, was the subject of a Child Protection Report
- anything else prescribed by regulation.
The register may contain any other demographic data available to the Committee and any other information about a child or young person or the circumstances of the child or young person’s death that the Committee considers relevant to exercising its reporting functions and anything else the Committee considers relevant.
The Committee has developed a customised database that allows it to:
- record information about the death of a child or young person
- update and maintain information recorded about a child or young person’s death
- provide for quality assurance
- analyse and report on the information contained within the register